I've just learned how to set up custom fonts, and more or less have most
international characters working by importing custom font metrics for
"Arial Unicode MS".

However, I've looked around the office at a few other computers and it
seems that this font isn't standard... apparently now it's bundled with
Microsoft Office 2000, whereas it used to be free for download.
Presumably this means that it isn't safe to distribute anymore, and I
can't seem to find any other free fonts which include a large enough
slice of Unicode to satisfy us (although there are a couple around which
aren't _too_ expensive... there are a few which seem to prohibit
commercial use outright.)

But anyway...

The FOP AWT renderer (which we're using for TIFF generation) seems to
work with all fonts even if I don't specify a custom font.  This is
because Java 1.5 supports font substitution, and thus makes use of all
the smaller fonts which might only support a few different scripts
each.  And these smaller fonts _are_ available on all systems I can see.

I was wondering whether people have a way to either make the PDF version
substitute fonts, or whether there is another trick I can use to
simulate the feature.

Perhaps there is some function people have come up with for XSL-T which
can generate the correct font-family for any given block of text?  If
such a thing existed, I could have the font-family attribute populated
correctly into the XSL-FO (and all I would need to do then is include
several dozen XML files for the metrics. ;-) )

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

NUIX Pty Ltd