Can you try separating each line with an empty <fo:block/> (rather than enclosing each line)
and see if you get the same cumulative effect?
(I.e. - treat <fo:block/> as the newline command.)

And - do you have any lines that 'exactly' fill the width of the page (so FOP may be generating a line break for empty content?)

There is a bug with line spacing in FOP that I have encountered with page-breaks and text after tables - where FOP seems to calculate some extra padding of almost the same height as the text
and so breaks to the new page too early.
So - there may be a subtle bug in the vertical spacing calculations somewhere that generates an extra line.

Mike

Neil Guinto wrote:

So, when you use pre-printed forms, do you mean that the multi-page documents are actually collections of forms (different pages but all the same layout)?

Exactly.

If the form itself is only one or two pages, you may be able to avoid the problem by working with explicit breaks (break-before / break-after), instead of letting the formatter take care of the implicit page-breaks.

Could you elaborate? To give further info, in our case a single line translates to a fo:block

Here is a condensed version of our source... It repeats several times. fo:page-sequence signifies page separation.

<fo:page-sequence line-height="8pt" font-size="12pt" font-family="Courier" master-reference="First-Page">
<fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
<fo:block start-indent="0.00pt" space-after.optimum="0.00pt" space-before.optimum="0.00pt">Line 1 (Actual text edited)</fo:block> <fo:block start-indent="0.00pt" space-after.optimum="0.00pt" space-before.optimum="0.00pt">Line 2 </fo:block>
</fo:flow>
</fo:page-sequence>