Jeremias Maerki wrote:

It's more an issue with FOP in my opinion. So let's hope for you two
that someone will eventually add this missing feature. Did I say that
the source code of FOP is available? :-)

So there is a feature in PDF to store the actual content as UTF-8 without the
font embedded, and to tell the PDF viewer to use whatever fonts it can find to
render the document?  Because that's what we really need to solve the problem.

Particularly in our system, we can't guarantee that the person generating the
PDF has the same fonts as the person reading it.  And worse, we can't even
guarantee that the person generating it has ARIALUNI.TTF (as it's not freely
redistributable.)  So embedding fonts in any fashion doesn't solve the problem,
and neither does font substitution at the time of generation.

I was thinking that the lack of font substitution at the time of rendering was
more of an issue with PDF, but if you say it's an issue with FOP then I'll take
your word for it because I don't know PDF well at all, just its damage to
society. :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll