On Jan 7, 2006, at 02:35, Paul Vinkenoog wrote:

( A bit OT, but anyways... )

<snip />
I haven't tried 0.91 yet, but in 0.20.5 the above URLs did work as
relative (although indeed they shouldn't). Worse: if you left out the
//, they didn't work anymore. I have fontBaseDirs for several
languages that look like this (relative to baseDir):

  ../../../config/ru

But if I put it like that in userconfig.xml, FOP complains about the
missing protocol. This shouldn't be an issue, but OK, I change it to:

  file:../../../config/ru

Now the resolver seems to eat the first four dots (waiting until it
encounters two slashes?)

Well, as I remember from my read of the related RFC, the trailing double slash in the protocol in a URL string is not optional, so the above URL is 'erroneous'. What the resolver probably could do in this case is much like what any decent browser does when you type 'http:www.some-site.net', and append the double slash to the protocol string, so the URL would eventually become your intended result

  file://../../../config/ru/

It seems like it depends on how you extract the protocol string from a given URL. Do you wait for the two slashes, or stop at the first colon and then check whether two slashes immediately follow and insert them if necessary?

Cheers,

Andreas