Now I understand. That rings a bell. I haven't verified it but I think I
know what the problem is. If you first render your document to PDF the
image is loaded in decoded format and is remembered as such in the image
cache. When you then render the same document to an RTF the RTFHandler
is given the cached image but that image is in a state that doesn't
allow for returning the undecoded image, but that's exactly what the
RTFHandler needs. It's what I feared would happen one day and shows me
that we should really revisit the image library sooner or later.
Probably sooner. :-(

Ok, work-around: you can try to use different URL/filenames depending on
whether you render to PDF or RTF. You may need to copy each image and
give it a different name. You can then choose the right image by
supplying a parameter to the XSLT file. That allows you to work-around
the image cache.

Note to fop-devs and possible contributors:
I've already started to document the problem and possible solutions half
a year ago: http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ImageSupport