Without further investigating I can't really tell whether this is a PDF
limitation or only a FOP limitation. The current wording of our website
suggests that this might have worked before. It doesn't now. I can
imagine that only referencing the TrueType font can be made to work if
someone teaches FOP not to use the font subset indexes for glyph acess
in that case. But it looks like you're stuck with having to embed the
TrueType fonts for the moment.