I have already pushed the xml into a file and performed the xslt on the Redhat2.1 box that gives me the headache.  I've run FOP command line and it output the expected PDF file.  It just doesn't work under JBoss. It's using the Xerces implementation (which is in the JBoss endorsed library) currently with saxon, previously I was using the default implementation packaged with Xalan, but switched when I received a Namespace error using that implementation of xslt.  The namespace is correct, however, it is doubly defined, but I think that is okay (once in the header, and again when defining the fo:root).  I direct the parser builder via the jaxp.properties file.  If I don't with Saxon 6.5.3, I get an error due to the aelfred parser not being a validating parser (apache commons throws an exception and stops processing at this point).

I have no xsl:include or xsl:import statements.
I am setting up the stream with a Url to the xsl file.

I am taking the value of external xml entities.

I would like to note that I'm getting the following warnings on the systems that it does run on:

[WARNING] table-layout=auto is not supported, using fixed!

I'm not an expert on xmlint, but I ran it and it didn't throw any errors.  I also put it through an xml/xsl editor to see if it would catch anything.  It runs it all the way through FOP with no problems using saxon 8.7, saxon 6.5.5, and xalan 2.5.2 using the stylus studio software. I'm running out of options.

The first 40 lines or so of the xsl are below (note that it complains about line 37, but in my file line 37 has no '&', nor does the xml since I ran through the debugger to catch the xml output to the transformation - that it never reaches.  I am thinking that the xsl processors line 37 is probably the apply-templates line):

<?

xml version="1.0" encoding ="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>

<

xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:fo ="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">

<xsl:attribute-set name="table" >

<xsl:attribute name="font-size" >8pt</xsl:attribute>

</xsl:attribute-set>

<xsl:template match="/" >

<fo:root xmlns:fo=" http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">

<!-- defines the layout master -->

<fo:layout-master-set>

<!-- layout for first page -->

<fo:simple-page-master master-name="first-page"

page-height="11in"

page-width="8.5in"

margin-top="0.5in"

margin-bottom="0.5in"

margin-left="0.5in"

margin-right="0.5in">

<fo:region-body margin-left="0in" margin-right="0in" margin-top= "0in" margin-bottom="0.25in"/>

<fo:region-after region-name="first-page-after" extent="0.25in"/>

</fo:simple-page-master>

<!-- layout for the rest of the pages -->

<fo:simple-page-master master-name="other-page"

page-height="11in"

page-width="8.5in"

margin-top="0.5in"

margin-bottom="0.5in"

margin-left="0.5in"

margin-right="0.5in">

<fo:region-body margin-left="0in" margin-right="0in" margin-top= "0.2in" margin-bottom="0.25in"/>

<fo:region-before region-name="other-page-before" extent="0.2in"/>

<fo:region-after region-name="other-page-after" extent="0.25in"/>

</fo:simple-page-master>

<fo:page-sequence-master master-name= "report">

<fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference= "other-page" page-position="rest" />

<fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference= "first-page" page-position="first" />

</fo:page-sequence-master>

</fo:layout-master-set>

<xsl:apply-templates select="PORemittanceReport" />

</fo:root>

</xsl:template>

and all the other templates after this.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks,
John

On 4/18/06, J.Pietschmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
John Quinn wrote:
> The xml has no '&' in it.  It is formed directly from data that is extracted
> from the database.

Well, experience tells that database content is the most common
source of trouble like unescaped ampersands. But you're right,
the error message says indeed the problem is with the style sheet.

Are you using xsl:import or xsl:include? Are you referring to
a DTD or external XML entities? Are you using an URLResolver or
an entity resolver? Could you check whether the XML parser instance
you use is provided by the JBoss environment (you might have to
check the service definition for the parser factory, or better
talk to someone who knows how parser instance creation is handled
by JBoss).

You should also try to save a sample XML source into a file and
run the FOP command line application with your XML+XSLT. Checking
the XSLT with xmllint might be an idea too.

J.Pietschmann