On Tuesday 23 May 2006 20:10, Stanimir Markov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a project I'm working, we need a replacement for the coldfusion's
> <cfdocument> tag that is used to generate pdf files from an html
> content. We're using this to produce a pdf version of reports that
> are generated on the fly.
>
> The problem is that cfdocument has a lot of annoying bugs, and we're
> looking to switch to other technologie. After some fighting with
> tidy-css2xslfo-fop 0.92, I was able to produce an report from a
> html+css converted to xhtml+css (tidy). Then css2xslfo is used to
> produce the xsl-fo file and finally fop is used to render the pdf.
>
> The problem is that the columns are too wide, and only the first two
> columns are printed and the rest are lost (the report is really wide
> with 15+ columns). I'm asking here :
>
> Is FOP capable to scale (automagically) the input so that it fits the
> output page width? I know the text becomes almost unreadable, but we
> need this.

When you talk about columns I assume you mean table columns?

ATM FOP cannot automatically size table columns based on the content.
You must specify a column width for each column. However, the column
width does not have to be absolute. You can use the
proportional-column-width() function to specify a relative width
(similar but not quite the same as specifying percentages). As I don't
know the input html, css and the xsl you use it is hard to say if it
will work in your case. In the end it boils down to having <col
width="10%" /> tags in your input (x)html and to translate them in the
chain to <fo:table-column width="proportional-column-width(10)" />
elements.

May be I misunderstand and what you want is automatic font scaling. No,
FOP can't do that. It will use the font-size as specificed in the
input .fo file.

Manuel