On Jun 8, 2006, at 20:52, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

<snip />
This is basically the only way to achieve your desired result, I think. BTW: even if border-collapse were implemented, this would still work. Specifying the borders on the table-cells directly is (virtually) always a good idea.

Side-note (collapsing borders are still on my mind...)

I get the impression that you would expect, when specifying a border on the table, that this border is used for all cells in the table. Although browsers render HTML tables like this by default, this would be an incorrect interpretation of pure CSS. (It depends on HTML's 'rules' attribute, for which there is no correlate in XSL-FO. The described effect is the result of rules="all" in HTML.)

See the first example after the CSS rules here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#collapsing-borders

Notice that the yellow border is *only* used for the table's edges. That is: although it would win when collapsed with the cells' borders, it is only used on edges that the cells have in common with the table.

XSL-FO refers to CSS, not HTML, so the only way to mimic that behaviour is to specify the borders on the table-cells.

Later,

Andreas