Manuel Mall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> cygwin. And it is not very sophisticated, i.e. assuming normal style 
> and weight. But you could extend it to interpret the last two chars of 
> the Windows font file name:
> bi => Bold Italic
> ?i => Italic
> ?b => Bold

Thanks.

Unfortunatly that's the point where I'm stuck. You can't really
guess style and weight this way. Neither with the name of the
font, nor with the filename. :-(

On my German system there are e. g.

Verdana                 verdana.TTF
Verdana Fett            verdanab.TTF
Verdana Fett Kursiv     verdanaz.TTF
Verdana Kursiv          verdanai.TTF

(Fett = bold, Kursiv = italic)

BUT some names are in English:

Vera Sans Mono Bold Italic      VERAMOBI.TTF


The Verdana Bold Italic has a "z" at the end of the file name.
The Vera Sans Mono Bold Italic a "bi".


Some names have the "bold" (or the German "kursiv") as a single
word, surrounded with space. Some have it inside a word, without
any Space.

There's no real system. 

I confess that I've just browsed the specs of Truetype, but I
haven't found anything in it to guess style and weight. Maybe
"italic", but nothing more.


> Not perfect but may be better than editing everything by hand?

Not perfect enough for what I had in mind.

I have to find a way to let a user install fonts. It would have
been nice to just import all the known TTF from his system.

Now this process has to be a bit more interactive. With the user
knowing what a given font file really contains. :-/

Well, I can supply the information for some fonts I know.  So the
user may be alright with it if he only uses some mainstream fonts.


Anyways, thanks for confirming my fears.
When there would have been an easy way, I would have wasted some
hours poking around without finding it myself. :-)


-- 
Web (en): http://www.no-spoon.de/ -*- Web (de): http://www.frell.de/


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to