paul wrote:

<snip/>

But I now would like to automate this process for variably many elements. The
elements are read from a XML-file. As I understand, I can automatically create
ID's for the elements with the generate-id() method. But it is not clear to me,
how I can reference those ID's in advance in my bookmark tree. I can call all
elements with a <for-each select="Element">, but how do I know then, what ID's
they will later be given? Or is it the other way round, do I give the id's in
the bookmarks-tree and retrieve them later? I'm afraid this is a stupid
question, but I hope someone has the patience to help me out, maybe with some
sample code. Many thanks :)

The key to working with the generate-id(.) function is the fact that it takes as argument an XML node AND it is guaranteed to generate the same id for the same node, but always generates a different id for every unique node in the input XML.

So you just need to make sure that generate-id() is passed the same node when the block is created and when you come to generate the bookmark tree.

BTW, this is a pure XSLT question and you will get better responses to such questions on the XSLT Mulberry list.

Chris