As Pascal already hinted, you'll have to use
background-color="from-table-column()"
on each table-cell to apply the background color of a table-column to
each cell of that column. Note that according to the specification
table-column "does not generate or return any areas. It holds a set of
traits that provide constraints on the column widths and a specification
of some presentation characteristics, such as background which affects
the areas generated by the fo:table (see § 6.7.3 – fo:table on page 127).
Inheritable properties may also be specified on the fo:table-column.
These can be referenced by the from-table-column() function in an
expression."

Following the link to 6.7.3, fo:table would have to produce the
background for a table-column, but that's not implemented, yet, although
the compliance page suggests so (probably my fault, I'll correct that).
So for now, you'll have to use the from-table-column() work-around.