PDF/A support in 0.92beta is somewhat incomplete. Adobe Acrobat is
definitely buggy. I've filed three bugs with Adobe. Not that I got any
reply on my bug reports. FOP Trunk (from Subversion) has its own problems
sorted out. It even does work-arounds to keep buggy Acrobat happy.

So please retry with FOP Trunk.