I think you misunderstand the arial.xml file.  Most of the glpyhs in the font are not in the section of the arial.xml file which has glyph indices.

The font has ~1600 glpyhs, the arial.xml file only has index data for ~500 of them.

----- Original Message -----
From: kev martin
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 2:00 PM
Subject: Glyphs in TrueType font file not found by FOP

Using FOP 0.92.

I have created an XML file to use the the arial.ttf font file, like this:

java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework.jar;lib\commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;lib\commons-io-1.1.jar org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader C:\windows\fonts\arial.ttf arial.xml

I have written some code for Arabic charcter shaping, which tells me that the glyph I need has glyph index 1509.   Using FontLab Studio (www.fontlab.com), and opening arial.ttf, I can see that this is correct, and the glyph I want is indeed at index 1509.

But the arial.xml file has no glyph index 1509, and I am unable to understand why.   I have checked the FOP source against the TrueType specification and I cannot see the problem – does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

Kev