The status is the same as when I wrote that text. At some point this
will be done but at this time it's only on my wish list. My notes on the
issue are on the Wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ProcessingFeedback

See also:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ApiRequirements

You're welcome to dive in yourself, of course.