I don't have much time right now to explain the current plans but take a
look at:
org.apache.fop.render.pdf.FopPDFImage
org.apache.fop.render.image.TIFFImage
org.apache.fop.render.image.XmlGraphicsCommonsImage (parent of TIFFImage)

Some notes for the upcoming redesign of the image package:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ImageSupport

But I don't really understand why you can't save your image as a CMYK
TIFF and use that.