Since i didnt get it working right...
I tried to produce a small sample with the same behaviour, but i cant
produce this with my own small sample.
So i think the prob must be somewhere else in the code of the awt rendering.
Here is my example:

// Sample should show that thin lines disappear while the bufferedimage is
scaled,
// but it doesnt happen, its only happening in the awt-viewer in fop
// Are the lines in Java2DRenderer painted in a different way to this
sample?

package test;

import java.awt.BorderLayout;
import java.awt.Color;
import java.awt.Graphics;
import java.awt.Graphics2D;
import java.awt.RenderingHints;
import java.awt.geom.AffineTransform;
import java.awt.geom.Line2D;
import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;

import javax.swing.JFrame;
import javax.swing.JPanel;

public class Test
{

        public static void main(String[] args)
        {
                JFrame f = new JFrame();
                f.setSize(200,200);
                f.setContentPane(new MyPanel());
                f.setVisible(true);
                f.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE);
                f.setLocationRelativeTo(null);
        }

}

class MyPanel extends JPanel
{

        private static final long serialVersionUID = 736771368105010125L;

        private BufferedImage imageBuffer;

        public MyPanel()
        {
                setLayout(new BorderLayout());
                AffineTransform f = new AffineTransform();
                f.scale(0.3453543455f,0.3453543455f);
                imageBuffer = new BufferedImage(100, 100,
BufferedImage.SCALE_SMOOTH);
                Graphics2D graphicsBuffer = imageBuffer.createGraphics();
                graphicsBuffer.setRenderingHint(RenderingHints.KEY_ANTIALIASING,
RenderingHints.VALUE_ANTIALIAS_ON);
                graphicsBuffer.setRenderingHint(RenderingHints.KEY_RENDERING,
RenderingHints.VALUE_RENDER_QUALITY);
                graphicsBuffer.setTransform(f);
                graphicsBuffer.setColor(Color.WHITE);
                graphicsBuffer.draw(new Line2D.Float(30, 10, 0.2f, 10));
                graphicsBuffer.draw(new Line2D.Float(40, 10, 0.5f, 20));
                graphicsBuffer.draw(new Line2D.Float(50, 10, 0f, 30));
        }

                g.drawImage(imageBuffer, 0, 0, null);
        }

}