A simple way to get this would be a fo:inline with a
keep-together="always" on it, if FOP implemented this.

Should I take this to mean that FOP does not implement this, so I
shouldn't bother?

A more convoluted work around involves building your own font,
which uses "/" and "-" as glyphs for some letter characters.

Eww.. that sounds like a hideous hack (not that you were implying
otherwise). I think it would be a better solution to tweak the file
that defines what chars are valid breakpoints and recompile. Then it'd
at least work with any font.

--Brad