On Oct 1, 2007, at 16:52, Thomas Schraitle wrote:

I am working with Altova StyleVision for ease of use while creating xslt files. (A visual designer for that is needed, at least for our customers.)

Now when I try to create a new Transformer with TransformerFactorys
method newTransformer, I receive the following error:

 [...]
"Die Funktion konnte nicht gefunden werden: empty" can be translated to
"this function could not be found: empty"

There is no empty function in XSLT/XPath 1.0.

As far as I could tell from some quick browsing, there is no such function in XPath/XSLT 2.0 either...

XQuery 1.0, OTOH: http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xquery-20070123/#id- flwor-expressions

The xslt-block with "empty" in it is thise one:

    <xsl:template match="altova:inline-container-substitute"
mode="second-step">
        <xsl:choose>
            <xsl:when test="empty(for $i in child::node() return
index-of(('fo:block','fo:block-container','fo:list-block'),name ($i)))">

This is definitly NOT XSLT 1.0. ;)

For me, it smells like if you are applying a XSLT 2.0 stylesheet to an XSLT 1.0 processor. As far as I know, Xalan can only use XSLT 1.0, not XSLT 2.0. Maybe
switch to Saxon 8?

Saxon 8-B (free version) indeed offers support for XQuery 1.0. I'd check the Altova documentation, or ask on their list how to override the XSLT processor for the FOP-run.

Cheers

Andreas