You should have got a message ("NYI: drawImage") on System.err when you
called that method. It's simply not implemented, yet. Try
graphics.drawImage(image, 0, 0, null);
instead. EPSDocumentGraphics2D is only implemented as far as it was
needed for FOP and Batik. It's not yet a full implementation.

Jeremias Maerki