Hello again, Jeremias,

I know: I wrote about MY requirements from MY point view... probably
everyone have a different view about that and is pretty impossible to make
everybody happy. I understand this...

I have designed many informative systems for big companies and "integration
problem" was always the main obstacle in developing: many standards, many
technologies, too many formats. I have used Java SE/EE deeply couse of the
uniform approach and technology integration it offers.

When you work to automatize the business workflow of a large office (for
example a Telecom company department) believe me: you will produce a big
mountain of documents, reports, tables and so on and you must take care
about a detail every forgot from technicians: the HCI - human computer
interface - this is one of the main factors that make a computer system
usable and friendly for the users.

Microsoft Word is massively used inside big organizations, and the base
concept is WYSIWG. So, if you develop a desktop application for an employe
you will receive the -unsolited- question: why what I see on the screen is
not what I see when I print document or when I send it by email? Why
application cannot show me the final result "in real time" when I work on
data? Word is doing that! (I cannot describe my face in similar
situations... when I was working for SIEMENS this was one of the most
frequent questions...)

But I think people are right: documents are not for technicians like you and
me, documents are for people. Must be readble, well formatted, colored and
attractive.

XSL-FO offer all instruments to create beatiful documents but... you cannot
easily integrate them in a desktop application. I have used yet FOP during
my work, and it was always the final step after a lot of elaboration: the
printing/email step.

Batik project offers a big support for application integration: the
JSVGCanvas class and the SVGGraphics2D generator class. iText offers
something similar for PDF... so I think my requirements are not so much far
from the "real world".

I was seriously thinking to be involved in the enhancement of the AWTViewer,
but for now I have no time at all.
I can imagine the big effort caming from the implementation of the XSL-FO
specifications... I absolutely understand you; but, as I repeat, for now I
cannot be involved in the FOP project even if I like your proposal very
much.
Maybe in a close future... who knows?

Anyway, thanks for your sincere opinion and suggestions.

Giulio Buccini

Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:

> These are your requirements for FOP. Most other users don't have these
> requirements so there's no focus in this direction. Yet, anyway. Giulio,
> you're invited to help us improve FOP. Everyone can participate. It
> would be great to have someone who really cares about the
> AWTRenderer/PreviewPanel. AFAIK, it's not something that is used by any
> of the active committers. It was introduced once, improved a little over
> time but it's still just a minimal viewer. I'm sure at least some level
> of interactivity would be relatively easy to implement.
>
> On 10.01.2008 15:32:16 Giulio Buccini wrote:
>>
>> Hello Jeremias,
>>
>> I apologyze, you're right: PreviewPanel is a renderer of the FO document,
>> not of the PDF document.
>>
>> Nevertheless, as I understand, FOP was designed mainly to realize a
>> software
>> the is used mainly in off-line mode. Beleive me, FOP is great, but it
>> cannot
>> be used easily for integration in real-world application.
>
> Uhm, in your real-world application anyway. Do you know how many users
> use FOP in real-world scenarios?
>
>> The main lack of FOP is the follow: it doesn't provide API to manipulate
>> and
>> support interaction with a user. I adore FOP, but it can be used only in
>> pipe-processing, scriptings, batch and so on.
>
> The project is defined to produce a formatter, not necessarily a
> document viewer. The AWT Viewer is just a goodie we've got somewhere on
> the way by a contributor. It's not a central part of FOP.
>
>> I think there is a lot of people (like me) interested in a easy-to-use
>> API
>> to develop real solutions using the XSL-FO standard. From my point view
>> FOP
>> is too much close to a "compiler" (!!) : give-it the XSL-FO code and it
>> will
>> give you something useful (PDF for example). The point is: java is
>> powerful
>> language and it allows sophisticate levels of abstraction, so why I must
>> code XSL-FO directly?
>
> Sorry, but I don't follow you here.
>
>> I think that the major part of people is using FOP as a sort of
>> transcoder
>> routine. Understand me, this is a big result di per se, but I think more
>> success can be achieved if FOP is completed with a set of useful software
>> tools for composition, manipulation, interaction, browsing and so on. Do
>> you
>> agree?
>
> Sure, that would be cool. But we're struggling enough to cover enough of
> the XSL-FO specification in the first place. The question is: Can you
> help us?
>
>> Even SVG is supporting features like a simple mouse-click...
>>
>> Returning to your point, there are not so much free PDF viewer
>> implemented
>> in Java. Most of them are becomed commercial products while the others
> [...]

-----
Giulio Buccini