FOP always wraps texts by default according to the rules
defined/referenced in the XSL-FO specification. To make hyphenation work,
please see:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/faq.html#hyphenation-fails

Finer text wrapping as is sometimes needed in narrow table columns can
be done by inserting zero-width spaces (​) or soft hyphens (­)
in between characters.

HTH