The following URL might provide an idea what is going wrong here:
http://www.coneural.org/florian/papers/04_byteserving.php

No guarantees that that's the reason but there seems to be a high
probability because I've found a number of references to similar
problems on the net. But that still doesn't point out what exactly needs
to be done.

But since I'm here at at the ApacheCon I've taken the opportunity to ask
a couple of Tomcat users if they have additional ideas. The told me the
following:

- In the case of IE it is known that the Browser together with the
Acrobat plug-in can make multiple requests against the server which can
produce issues.

- Use wget to retrieve a PDF from the same server to check that the PDF
really arrives intact. If it works that way it indicates this verifies
that there are multiple requests made by the browser that cause the
problems. See byte serving above. See also some bugs that an HTTPD
developer pointed me to. You can add follow-up information there if you
have anything. But it's HTTPD, not Tomcat.

https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=pdf&product=Apache+httpd-2&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&resolution=FIXED&resolution=WONTFIX&resolution=LATER&resolution=REMIND&resolution=WORKSFORME&resolution=MOVED&resolution=---&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Importance&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

- Check the access log to see if what kind of requests are made against
the webserver.

- If this doesn't help you towards a solution, the Tomcat user list is
certainly a good place to get more help. Please make sure that you
mention version numbers for all components involved (Tomcat, Browser,
Acrobat etc.). They told me that some bugs have been fixed in some
versions of Tomcat that could relate to this problem. So it could be
that a release change might help. Again no guarantees.

If you find a solution elsewhere please lets us know about it in case
anyone else runs into a similar problem in the future.