XSL-FO, for one, doesn't support specifying alpha values for background
colors. That would have to be done through extension attributes or
functions. At the moment, FOP does not support that, except if you use
an SVG graphic as background image where you can use
fill-/stroke-opacity. I haven't checked that approach but it should work.

HTH