We generate FOP documents from a *nix workhorse, a rather plain (bare) server that has very minimal graphics & font equipment. The current setup works well for current fonts (say, Verdana) and custom-made technical fonts. Now, I would like to use some glyphs from the Symbol font but this raises a few interesting questions which I was not able to answer so far:

- it is not quite clear from the documentation whether Base14 fonts need to be declared in fop.xconf [unless I did not look at the right place and missed a point, which is obviously quite possible] - the server certainly has no Symbol font of its own, I can provide a TTF but ttfreader will refuse to generate an XML descriptor ("Unicode cmap table not present / Unsupported format - aborting."). - do I need to use the ASCII or Unicode codes for the glyphs; is 'alpha' simply a lowercase a or  ?

I thought this would be a simple item in my todo list but it proves to be more difficult than I expected at first sight :-(

Any help appreciated !

Jean-Francois