Thanks for all your answers.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to use the GC to free the open handle as:
- we will have loads of concurrent fop transformation running in services
deployed on a same app server instance,
- the open handle makes undeploying a service tricky and manually calling
the GC won't ensure immediate garbage collection.

I guess for now we can survive with Linux servers as it seems the open
handle could be safely ignored on unix systems.

Matthieu