Andreas
I greatly appreciate the suggestion!  I will make the change!

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Delmelle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 3:40 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Using CHOOSE to control image in region-body

On Oct 8, 2008, at 13:38, Steffanina, Jeff wrote:

Hi,

FWIW, a small performance hint:

> My Friends,
> Thank you for the many suggestions!  I have tried them all and my
> issue, as suggested by Jean-Francois appears to be related to the
> fact that my xml tag "send-fax" is not a direct child of the node I
> am processing.  Instead, it a "remote descendant".  Therefore, I
> used the following code:
>
> <xsl:when test="count(//send-fax = 0">

Seems better to use:

<xsl:when test="not(//send-fax)">

Why?
The node-set is implicitly converted to a boolean, which the
processor (if intelligent enough) can evaluate as "true" as soon as
the first such node is encountered. The expression "count(//send-
fax)", OTOH, is more likely to trigger a complete tree-traversal
starting at the context node. IIC, using a boolean would only mean a
complete traversal iff the node-set is also empty (= false)

Cheers

Andreas