Thank you, Vincent, for taking the time to clarify this not-really-a-FOP-issue!

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Debian/Ubuntu developers don’t use the shell script provided with
> FOP. They wrote their own script (which, BTW, is quite neat) that is
> adapted to the way Java is handled on those platforms. For example,
> instead of shipping the dependencies with the FOP package, they made
> separate packages for each of them (Apache Commons IO, Batik, XML
> Graphics Commons, etc.). That way, if other packages share common
> dependencies, those will be installed only once and not duplicated all
> over the system.
>
> Now, there appears to be a missing package relating to the hyphenation
> patterns.

Sadly, it seems like they haven't been able to package the OFFO
hyphenation patterns because of licensing issues. Even though the
description in http://offo.sourceforge.net/hyphenation/licenses.html
states that "all files hosted by the OFFO project come with an
OSI-approved Open Source license...", closer inspection reveals that
many languages have received customizations with additional
restrictions. For example en_US.xml, which 'can be used freely for
non-commercial purposes'.

(In my opinion, these modifications should not have been accepted in OFFO.)

> What you should ask the Debian/Ubuntu developers is to create
> one and make the FOP package depend on it (more precisely, ‘recommend’
> it).

I will forward your comments to the FOP package manager.

> As a user you shouldn’t have to modify any file installed by the package
> system (other than configuration files).

Sure, you're right! So I'll stick to my
unelegant/unsafe/not-recommended use of JAVA_CLASSPATH meanwhile.  ;)

Cheers
-Jerzy