Hi Nancy,

I have just realised that you are using fop via the package manager, and not
from a direct fop download - whoops!
I am sorry, but I am not sure I can help with your configuration.  Perhaps
there is a Debian mailing list that might help?  I wonder if the LOG4J_OPTS
variable is used by java-wrappers.sh script referenced in the fop script?
Maybe you could email the author fourm...@debian.org?

If you have no luck you could alternatively checkout fop with subversion and
run that using the configuration discussed in my last response.  This will
require a bit more work to set things up, but it is well documented at
 http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/quickstartguide.html

I am for the confusion caused by my assumption about your fop setup!

Pete