> It's ... gruesome ... but an awfully good idea.

Unfortunately a quick test suggests it may also not work.

Classifications don't always begin in the middle of a column (now page).
Sometimes they happen to being at the top of a column, simply because
the previous classification fit neatly into the previous column. As a
heading is always output where a new classification begins, use of
markers would cause *two* headings to appear - first the marker-provided
heading, then the heading that appears in the flow where the new
classification begins.

I don't see any way to suppress the double heading in that situation,
and it's *ugly*.

Sigh. I keep on coming back to the need for some kind of conditionally
rendered block, like the following imaginary syntax:

<fo:block displayed-if="is-first-after-break">
  heading content here
</fo:block>

so I can repeat the block before *every* ad, using a keep to make sure
that if the heading is displayed, the following ad appears on the same page.

If there doesn't turn out to be a smarter way of doing this, I'd be
interested in discussing costs to contract someone to implement this as
a fop extension to fo - if anyone's interested, it'd be acceptable for
fop, and it's a reasonably sized project.

( BTW, I've been trying to check out fop svn trunk, but keep on getting
a connection refused from Apache's svn servers. I got it after several
tries over half an hour, but ... load issues? Scheduled maintenance? )

--
Craig Ringer