From: Georg Datterl [mailto:georg.datt...@geneon.de]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 11:44 AM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: AW: ValidationException: Document is empty

Hi Eric,

> I think you're a bit confused.

Oh yes.

> 1) FOP doesn't complain about anything.  My response included the corrected
> xslt along with a PDF I got from FOP with it.

I'm not quite sure WHO exactly complains. The original xslt (with &lt;) works
fine if I use it to transform the xml file. It generates a fo-file which I can
then transform into a pdf. The corrected xslt works fine, if I don't use more
complex transformations. It stops working when I use variables.

> 2) I'm not sure what you mean by "valid xml".  Your xml file is a
> valid xml.  Your xslt file is not xslt if it contains any fo.  If you fix the
> tags it's valid xslfo.

My xslt should not contain valid fo, it should create valid fo. If I fix the
tags, it's (IMHO) no longer a valid xslt-file.

> 3) Converting < to &lt; wouldn't make it work any better as anything
> else since you didn't convert > to &gt;

Converting < to &lt; would make it a valid xslt-file, IMHO, since the fo-tags
are no longer found. The transformation originally worked fine with fop 0.20,
so it is possible that something changed, but that would still not explain why
I can transform xml+xslt->fo and fo->pdf, but not xml+xslt->pdf directly.

Regards

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl

Geneon media solutions gmbh
Gutenstetter Straße 8a
90449 Nürnberg

HRB Nürnberg: 17193
Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert

Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20

www.geneon.de

1) FOP doesn't complain about anything.  My response included the corrected
xslt along with a PDF I got from FOP with it.
2) I'm not sure what you mean by "valid xml".  Your xml file is a valid xml.
Your xslt file is not xslt if it contains any fo.  If you fix the tags it's
valid xslfo.
3) Converting < to &lt; wouldn't make it work any better as anything else since
you didn't convert > to &gt;

Xslt: http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/default.asp
Xslfo: http://www.w3schools.com/xslfo/default.asp

Xslt was designed to format xml data for a web page.  Xslfo expands on xslt to
add the pageable tags required for a PDF which a web page wouldn't understand.