Hi,

i agree with Michael - reducing the image size is the key.
We had this problem once with huge TIFF files which can (after scanning)
easily have a size of 50MB or bigger.
With the java image io we converted those pics into TIFF-G4 standard which
are greatly reduced in size (kb level).

Afterwards also our pdfs were much smaller. If you own Adobe Acrobat you can
try the effect of reducing the image quality / adding compression. Go to
Advanced/PDF-Optimization ...

Regards,
ToM