One thought that comes to mind off the cuff: Since a jar file is a zip file, and java can extract files from a zip, could your java class extract the font to a temporary location on the file system, then update your xconf file to point to the font, then run FOP using the xconf file, and then afterwards remove the font from its temporary location to tidy up?

Thanks.

-Mike