If you are generating your fo file via a transform, maybe you could add to it
to convert light, heavy and black to appropriate numeric values? Then the fo
file would contain all legal values while maintaining the source's values as
required by the designers and avoids making changes to FOP to support non
standard font weight names.

Or perhaps it might be nice to add capability to add to the xconf file a section to
describe a font weight 'name' and a translation to a suitable numeric value. From my
recent playing with code that reads in the xconf file this shouldn't be too
difficult. e.g. <font-weight-template name='heavy' weight='800'/> - not sure
where in the xconf this should go without looking in more detail. (If this option is
the one then I guess it would be nice to create a patch so that it can be considered
for the trunk for others to use.)

Thanks.

-Mike