I have three different XML files with a lot of math in them (quantum
physics). With each of them, when I use FOP to generate pdf's I get the
following exception (let me know if you want to see the full stack trace,
here's the top with all the FOP lines):

In one of the files, here is one snippet that will throw the error (it's not
thrown when I comment this out):

Are there any symbols in there that might be unsupported? Is there something
else I should be considering that might trigger this error? Please let me
know if there is other information I can provide to help track this down.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.