Pascal Sancho-2 wrote
> Probably, fop[58] is for fop shell script, line 58; you should have a
> look into that part.

The reference to line 58 points to the fop script where at said line it
executes the configuration file:

if [ -f "$BMS/cus/scripts/.fop/fop.xconf" ] ; then
  . $BMS/cus/scripts/.fop/fop.xconf
fi

It looks innocent enough until I noticed the leading period (.) on the
second line which is line 58. In fact the other configuration file
references in the downloaded fop script, before and after this one, have the
same error:

# Source/default fop configuration
if $no_config ; then
  rpm_mode=false
else
  # load system-wide fop configuration
  if [ -f "/etc/fop.conf" ] ; then
    . /etc/fop.conf
  fi

  # load user fop configuration
  if [ -f "$HOME/.fop/fop.conf" ] ; then
    . $HOME/.fop/fop.conf
  fi
  if [ -f "$HOME/.foprc" ] ; then
    . "$HOME/.foprc"
  fi

I have removed the offending period and it now runs. Thanks for all the
help.

-----
just starting out with FOP - don't hurt me!