Thanks for your post Rsargent.

It makes sense that after looking at a few the Army stylesheets located in
the link I provided you are pointing out they speak directly to S1000D. The
MIL-SPEC-3031A is actually the Army's version of the S1000D standard.  The
Army borrows from the S1000D standard a lot of stylesheet related code.
However, there are some differences on how the PDF looks like on paper. For
example the 3031A standard requires the ICN number for a graphic appear on
the lower right hand corner of a graphic.  In contrast, the S1000D standard
does not require the ICN number display on the page at all. Like this
example, there are a bunch of other stylesheet related differences between
the 3031A standard and S1000D standard that are too numerous to cover.

Therefore, I somehow need to make the 3031A stylesheets I got from the Army
work in harmony with my Arbortext Publisher app because currently it doesn't
recognize them at all. It only recognizes the S1000D standard stylesheets
that were included with Arbortext Publisher.  From what I was told by the
Arbortext technical support person the 3031A stylesheets are not compatible
with Arbortext Publisher because they are not correctly coded to FOP Apache
stylesheet coding conventions. My stylesheet coding skills are not strong
enough to figure out how the 3031A stylesheet code deviates from FOP Apache
stylesheet code. Therefore, I would be very grateful if anyone out there can
take a good look at the XSL files inside the 3031A ZIP file and let me know
how this code deviates from FOP Apache stylesheet coding conventions.

In closing, the way I see it is I need to do one of two things:

1. Find a FOP Apache transformation engine that will transform my 3031A
stylesheets to a format my Arbortext Publisher app likes.

2. I need to figure out how to modify the code to the existing S1000D FOP
Apache stylesheets my Arborext Publisher app uses so that it follows all of
the formatting rules the Army 3031A standard requires.

Any info or suggestions that will help me make progress will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.