Two questions about CMYK on the same day!

The JDK JPEG image handling functions cannot handle CMYK. If the images include a color profile then FOP can convert the images to RGB. To get FOP generate a PDF with images that preserve the CMYK colors you need to use a ImageIO library like TwelveMonkeys. Get it, compile it and place the JPEG related jar in the FOP lib directory (note that you will also need to add some of the core jars).