See http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/HowTo/SetupJDK14Logging and also take a look at the bottom of the fop script.

But pretty much, a logging.properties file like this:

handlers= java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINEST
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter = java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter
#.level= INFO
.level= WARNING

Followed by
export LOGLEVEL=-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/path/to/logging.properties
is all you need. LOGLEVEL will then be picked up by the fop script.