I tested your example from the command line using fop-1.1 and the the jars barcode4j-fop-ext.jar, barcode4j-xgc.jar and barcode4j.jar and it worked. So the issue is probably with your environment setup.

After you run you code, in the debug perspective, right click in the execution entry and select properties. You should see then the classpath used by eclipse.