I have the requirements of
1. allow adding hyphenation exceptions at runtime (web container)
2. don't hyphenate more than two successive lines in a paragraph

For 1. the only solution I found is to use a third-party library to add the
actual soft-hyphens in the text, instead.
This has other benefits for me, including that I can use hyphenation in other
places than PDF generation, so I prefer this separation.
But if anyone knows a way to add exceptions for words at runtime, I would be
highly interested how to do that.

Since I solved 1. Using a new library for adding soft-hyphens into the text, 2.
doesn't work anymore. My XSL contains hyphenation-ladder-count="2" attributes
on all relevant blocks, which does the trick when passing text without
soft-hyphens and relying on FOP hyphenation entirely. But it does nothing if I
don't use FOP to hyphenate the words. In general, hyphenation works, though,
like the soft-hyphens in the text are taken into account. But it happens that 6
or more successive lines are hyphenated, which is deemed bad style.

Any input would be appreciated.

Marc