Yes, you are right. It also uses more memory. These are unavoidable side
effects of the ability to process complex scripts and font features.

If you don't need any complex script features, then you can disable that
processing as described in the documentation [1].

[1]
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/2.0/complexscripts.html#Disabling-complex-scripts