I am in the process of upgrading from FOP 0.92-beta to 2.1, and for the
most part I have been able to work out the issues. However, I am stumped
with this particular issue of rending text in an SVG. Any SVG text that
used to render no longer displays at all. I have tried adding font auto
detection. I've removed, added, and removed again, the font metrics in the
fop.xconf. Here's what I have now:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<fop version="1.0">
  <strict-configuration>true</strict-configuration>
  <strict-validation>true</strict-validation>
  <base>/var/foo/</base>
  <renderers>
    <renderer mime="application/pdf">
      <filterList>
        <value>flate</value>
      </filterList>
    </renderer>
  </renderers>
</fop>

When generating a PDF, I do get a few warnings like:

The contents of fo:instream-foreign-object line 1 exceed the available area
in the inline-progression direction by 5000 millipoints. (No context info
available)
The contents of fo:instream-foreign-object line 1 exceed the available area
in the inline-progression direction by more than 50 points. (No context
info available)

I've looked at the documentation, the upgrading instructions, but nothing
seems to help. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jeremy