Happy to report that this is fixed in trunk.

On my simple XSL which generates 50 pages, the resulting PDF size is now 196 KB
when using fop v2.1, but only 21 KB when using fop trunk. (as of today)

So clearly, something has happened since v2.1 was released in jan 2016. Thanks
for this. Whatever you did this is *not* an insignificant bug fix.

Hoping for an official 2.2 release soon.

Thanks

Peter