Another possibility is to post process your PDF. We for instance first
generate the PDF and afterwards use some other PDF library to shrink the
images and remove unused objects and other stuff...
If something is possible with a PDF in question you may try out with
acrobat - there are options to optimize and shrink your PDF. If there is no
reduction in file size with those options you may already have the perfect
PDF without any overhead ;-)

: