I think we are sticking to the rubocop config for the most part but the
idea that we MUST enable every rubocop cop without any debate is absurd.
Shopify seems to disable rubocop cops in their projects (e.g.
https://git.io/voNfg). I can’t find where Github is using rubocop but their
Ruby style guide differs quite a bit from the rubocop one (e.g.
https://github.com/styleguide/ruby/hashes vs
https://github.com/bbatsov/ruby-style-guide#symbols-as-keys,
https://github.com/styleguide/ruby/documentation vs
https://github.com/bbatsov/ruby-style-guide#rdoc-conventions). Also,
it looks like Rails (which is probably the biggest Ruby project I know of
in terms of popularity) only uses 6 cops: https://git.io/voNJI.

I think these debates around what cops to enable are beneficial to coming
to a common style that everyone can use and hopefully likes (for the most
part). Again, I think we’ve been enabling a majority of the cops but I
think it’s nonsensical to try to enable every cop. No other project from
what I’ve seen does that.
<https://github.com/Shopify/liquid/blob/master/.rubocop.yml>

David