Hello,

this morning I observed that putting foreman git repo onto tmpfs folder
(e.g. /tmp/foreman) greatly reduces testing time by more than 50 % !

Running it from my checkout folder (Samsung SSD - 2014 edition):

real    27m24.425s
user    12m25.875s
sys     0m27.050s

And now from tmpfs:

real    12m21.645s
user    9m59.112s
sys     0m9.877s

I don't know if it's just the db/ directory or we do some temp files
during tests, but before I investigate this further, I'd like someone to
try this out and compare the numbers. I could made a mistake.

If I had to guess, I think sqlite does some filesystem sync operations
which are just noops on tmpfs (it's memory or swap right).

This would be great benefit on our Jenkins assuming there is tmpfs
available. I guess so (RHEL6+ has it). We do start always from scratch
there, so mounting/symlinking db/ should be relatively easy to do. And I
currently have about 35 MB in db/ folder, nothing that should kill the
runner.

--
Later,
 Lukas #lzap Zapletal