Walden, Yes! The Patternfly vertical nav does have a collapsible feature.
If you read the design notes, secondary and tertiary levels can be "pinned"
to the left. There is also a version I have seen which is icon only however
I'm not seeing the documentation at the moment.

I also agree with your statement on full width. Reducing the margin/padding
will make better use of the space for responsive purposes.