Hi,

> our design of template proxying is not good

I don't think, it's that bad. Your suggestion does have it's advantages, though. From a security perspective it would be great if the smart-proxy wouldn't need any calls to Foreman.

> The downside is that Smart Proxy would be required in order to do templating

If we pre-render all templates in Foreman and just deploy text files to the proxy, why do we need templating on the proxy?

> There should not be any technical limitation, unless I miss something.

How do you want to handle the "built"-Url? I think, you still need a callback to Foreman when a Host has finished provisioning. That basically voids most of the advantages (like improving reliability - btw: a Foreman ha is easy vs. a smart-proxy ha setup is hard). We currently setup puppetca orchestration when a Host requests the provisioning template. That would need to be changed first. Please see [1].

I do think, it's a good idea that Foreman knows the current state of an installation. We could even show valueable information on the provisioning progress or potential errors like with [2]. That would be a huge benefit for users, at least from my experience.

Timo

[1] https://github.com/theforeman/rfcs/pull/7/files
[2] https://github.com/ShimShtein/foreman_build_history