On úterý 25. dubna 2017 9:19:40 CEST Dominic Cleal wrote:
> On 24/04/17 12:59, Marek Hulán wrote:
> > based on our handbook [1]. I'd like to nominate Daniel for commit access
> >
> > the following repositories:
> >  - foreman-infra
> >  - foreman-installer
> >  - foreman-packaging ( to branch and cherry-pick to the release branch )
> >
> > Daniel contributes to the project for a long time, also in this area
> > [2][3][4] and always has only the best intentions. He worked on 1.15 RC1
> > and I think there's no reason why he shouldn't have access to places
> > which are needed to update during the release process.
>
> These repos all have active maintainers and so making a pull request (as
> Daniel's done on two of them) is a better way to make changes. I don't
> think commit access is necessary to submit updates to these repos and
> shouldn't be encouraged here for Foreman releases.

I'm happy to hear that there are active maintainers. I'm not sure whether you
suggest that it is the reason why commit access should not be granted? I think
the more active committers the better. Doing this through PR is fine and as
you say, it can find issues. But if other devs send PRs, I think it makes
sense if Daniel can merge them. Commit access is also required to create
branches and tags which I don't think needs any form of reviewing.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I'm encouraging pushing commits directly without
PR during release process. That was not subject of this nomination.

> Reviews have found a few issues, so I'd suggest continuing to submit
> commits through pull requests.

I'm not sure how it worked for previous releases but I think that it should
not change and PRs are preferred way unless there's direct commit required in
rare situations. IMHO that does not change by Daniel becoming a committer.

--
Marek